SportPREMIUM

Vuyani Bungu brought in to boost KO artist Lonwabo Sizani’s camp after upset loss

The search is still on for opponent for boxer’s return in November

Errikie Errikie rocks Lonwabo Sizani with a big right during their WBC junior-lightweight title fight at the Guild Theatre. File picture: (ALAN EASON)

Story audio is generated using AI

Knockout specialist Lonwabo Sizani has roped in former world champion Vuyani Bungu as part of his technical team as he plans a ring return in November.

The change was influenced by Sizani’s upset knockout defeat by unheralded Namibian Errikie Errikie in a vacant WBC youth junior-lightweight title at the Guild Theatre in KuGompo City (formerly East London) in April.

The brutal fourth-round stoppage handed him his first professional loss in six bouts, snapping a five-fight winning streak, all by knockouts.

It quelled high expectations placed on him of being a future champion, with his promoters suggesting his technical team should be boosted by more expertise.

Trained by former South African junior-bantamweight champion Mzi Dintsi with veteran mentor Bobbin Sityana serving as an assistant, there were concerns that the boxer was not getting proper seasoning and moulding in training to augment his talent.

He still does not understand what happened in the fight.

—  Former SA junior-bantamweight champion Mzi Dintsi

The quick ending of his previous bouts, of which all but two lasted just one round, added to perceptions that the team was papering over his overall development in favour of knockouts.

However, Dintsi insisted that training did not focus on ending fights by stoppages, but opponents could not take Sizani’s power.

After Sizani was brought down to earth, Dintsi said the boxer had recovered from the shock loss and was relishing a ring return.

“He still does not understand what happened in the fight,” he said. “In fact, he does not even remember the fight itself; all he recalls is when he was walking to the ring, and that is why we suspect foul play.”

Sizani was knocked down twice, with the second fall prompting medical personnel to rush into the ring to revive him. After spending anxious moments prone on the canvas, Sizani finally made it to his feet.

We want him to develop properly, and Bungu is the right person to shore up his boxing makeup.

—  Sizani's promoter Mzi Booi

His promoter, Mzi Booi of KayB Promotions, said Bungu had been approached to join Sizani’s technical team.

“We want him to develop properly, and Bungu is the right person to shore up his boxing makeup because we still believe the kid has loads of talent to go far in the sport,” he said.

Bungu, a South African record holder for the most world title defences, has been sparingly used to impart his expertise with developing boxers, with the latest being South African junior-flyweight champion Siseko Teyisi.

Booi said the camp was still searching for an opponent for Sizani’s return, with the bout scheduled as part of the November 1 tournament at the Guild Theatre.

Other bouts on the bill include the provincial junior-lightweight title defence by Lubabalo Kweyi against Mhlanganisi Sogcwayi and former provincial champion Likho Sigabi facing Yamkela Phaliso in a featherweight clash.

Former amateur stars Sinovuyo Mthintelwa and Amzolele Dyeyi, as well as provincial junior-featherweight champion Ayabulela Xatyana, who were all part of the April show, will also return to action.

Daily Dispatch



Would you like to comment on this article?
Sign up (it's quick and free) or sign in now.

Comment icon